Sunday, December 20, 2009

18 Legal^^(Part 1)

3 Weeks Placement

It’s a long period for everyone before it started, the first week was tiring but seems like time flies after that. We begin with knowing nothing much until getting used to the routine. Some of the staff was really nice but some was just too bad.

In some part, I probably get to experience more than the others. Even though I would like to know how’s post mortem care working, but I don’t want to experience death. And guess what, there are 2 deaths in 3 weeks time, and it’s two in a row which one after another.

I’m really shocked when I get the news from Erlinda, one of it was expected but another one was just in a sudden. Could you imagine a person that you just done a mouth care before your shift end and he was really alright that time and you get to know he passed away on the next morning? And for the other, even though it’s expected but things were just too fast. She just celebrated birthday on my first week placement, and yet she passed away in my third week of placement. Life was just simply unpredictable, you never know when it will end. I’m pretty sure what I’m doing now and will appreciate every single moment I have.

That part was still alright even though it’s kind of sad. The resident experience loss and grieve as well especially someone who have been sharing rooms with you for the past year disappear just like that. When she tells me, “Do you know that Joyce passed away this morning? I miss Joyce very much…” I almost burst in tears, but I know I can’t because I need to be stronger than them. It’s the Christmas celebration at Ananda 1 few days later, I try my best to encourage her to the concert but she just simply thinks that it’s not suitable because Joyce just passed away.

I like Elizabeth very much, I always involve in some of her personal care like toileting and dressing for bed in the night. I get to know a lot from her through some conversation. It’s really amazing that her father gone through World War 1 and the husband gone through World War 2. She has probably experience lots of bombing scene. She always asks me when is the next time she’ll get to see me when I knocked off.

There’s a case study about a resident that we need to do when 3 weeks placement. We can randomly pick any resident we would like to write about. I pick Pam because I involve in her personal care throughout the whole placement. Probably it’s my luck as her long care plan was missing and she has problem with communication. It’s been hard for me to get some of her information. Luckily I get to interview her family. I seriously look up on her after get to know her life.

Pam has viral encephalitis at the age of 29. She was unconscious for 4 months after that. She undergoes rehabilitation and tries her best to use the left part of her body including writing. She has got a serious fall before admitted to the facility. She has been so optimistic all the time, you will always see a big smile on her face. Even though she wasn’t involve in any of the activities as she having problem with communication after the encephalitis, but she’s still happy with her life. I couldn’t imagine how hard she works to recover. And there are still lots of us out there complaining there’s no happiness in life, probably we don’t understand what the real meaning of that is. Be satisfied of what we got, that’s the happiness of life.

This is what both I and Geraldine do to countdown throughout the placement. There’s 15 days all together and we’ll cross out one of it when came back from placement everyday.

I really get to learn a lot throughout these 3 months. I started with April and ended with April. I didn’t get to work with April throughout the 3 weeks until the last day of my placement. She has done some assessment on me to give me marks on my log book evaluation. Thanks for the comments, it means a lot to me, and thanks for the wishes from all the staffs and residents. I will miss you guys!!!

5Dec09

What a joy! Finally it’s our holiday… I seriously don’t really remember what I’ve done for that day. I went out with Chua to do some shopping. What I know was I’m looking for presents for the December babies. Manage to get only one of the presents. Have sushi train for lunch since Chua really love sushi!

6Dec09

It’s Sunday! It’s the first time I go out alone to the city… Guess what? I like it! It’s sometimes fun to be alone. I learn to walk on my own, at least I’m sure I won’t get lost in the city now. You won’t learn if you never try to do so. I’m not afraid of going out alone, it’s pretty normal over here. Walk to lots places and manage to get what I want.

I went to Newton again instead of going back to Hosanna after back from city since Chua was there. Just walking around and see what groceries or food I need which is cheap.

7Dec09

It’s sleeping day! ^^ Haha… At last get to rest instead of going out again. It’s the 7dec so it’s Kong’s birthday. Happy Birthday gal! You are 18 and a adult now. Wish you all the best for the coming Diploma course!

8Dec09

It’s Debriefing Day and the last day of our course. It’s happy to see Paula again! She’s just like our mom throughout this period. Sadly she won’t get to teach in Diploma course. It’s really sweet that Paula brings the four of us a cake to celebrate our 18th birthday. Fiona came over to celebrate birthday with us as well. They gave us a birthday card with some wishes in it. Thank you Paula, I will surely miss you when in Diploma!

The cake was really nice! 3 of the pink candles represent the ladies and the 1 in green was the only guy. After the debriefing session, we took photo in the garden instead of going back to our room. Manage to capture some nice photo!


I went out together with Geraldine during night to the big Christmas tree at Victoria Square. It’s really big and nice. It gets nicer when the sky slowly turn darker as the lightning really stands out. I really love the place, how nice if I can bring that back! We spend few hours sitting on the grass and camwhoring around. I would like to go back again if there’s a chance.

9Dec09

There’s nothing much for today but the four of us went to library together to online. Manage to borrow some DVD to watch. Trying to renew my library card but couldn’t as my birthday haven’t reach. Spend a few hours in the library just to online. Chat with few friends back in Malaysia and quite surprise that all of them said I was back in KK. Somehow I wish I was back! Someone saw me in Suria KK the new hyper mall which just open in KK. I didn’t know that I have a twin sister. Anyway, I just get to know it was open. Didn’t mean anything but just to let everyone know I’m in Adelaide all the time. Don’t want anyone to think that I was back but didn’t hang out or attend the reunion. Anyway, I’ll inform you guys when I’m back.

10Dec09

I’m not really sure what’s wrong with me but I have the mood to go Morialta Park early in the morning. Wake up quite early and have breakfast. Didn’t expect it will rain. Stay in the dining hall for quite a while until the rain stop. Me and Chua walk and chat through the way but it rains again. We stay in the small hut most of the time as we don’t have any umbrella. At last, we manage to walk till the rest area and walk back to Hosanna again for lunch.

It’s freezing cold! The wind keeps on blowing but it makes me forgot all the things in my mind. Haha… Someone suddenly come out from the bush and ask us whether there is a pair of scissor in the hut? Shocking!!!

I continue to watch my movies after that since it’s time for me to relax.

11Dec09

Me, Geraldine and Chua plan to go library together that morning but Geraldine couldn’t come as she’s having diarrhea the whole morning. So it’s just the both of us went to the library.

Have lunch at Chinatown after that, I miss laksa! It’s still alright but I seriously miss Penang laksa^^ Ooopss… I’m really hungry right now!

Last but not least, Happy Birthday Chua! The birthday boy… I hope that your entire wish will come true and all the best for your future path. Aikz… I know it’s hard for you to get along with all girls!

Being busy with cleaning the room since we are going to have party tomorrow night!

12Dec09

Me, Geraldine and Kong went out early in the morning for birthday party shopping. We were like housewives surveying cheap drinks, chips and fruits. We manage to get drinks from Reject Shop, chips from Coles and fruits from Central Market. Chua join in halfway to help us carry our stuff.

We have been busy cleaning and tidying the room after that. Finally, get to shower about 7pm after we book our Domino’s Pizza online. It was a really fun night as lots of them were here celebrating with us. There’s really too much things to say but I think photos give everyone the image. Everyone was crazy throughout the night.

It’s 12Dec and Geraldine’s birthday!

Dear Geraldine=),

Happy Birthday girl! I wish you all the best for everything and take care. Last year, I just manage to wish you through phone and internet, but this year I get to celebrate with you. It’s really glad to know you as my friend, without knowing you I can’t imagine how it is staying in a single room. Thanks for all the crazy moment we share together! My dear grandma, don’t sleep like a pig as your pillow will be gone again. Don’t cover yourself and scare me in the middle of the night. Remember to wrap yourself like a spring roll so that you won’t get cold.

P/s: Remember our planning on 31st December2009! ^^


0 comments: